.
Yes, in the past month I have completely fallen out of the blogging world but all for good reason! I spent two weeks at the beach both with the Higgins family and then again with the Atkins Family. I have also been working a lot longer days at work due to this little thing called a merger my company just completed with Progress Energy. Therefore, free time...nope has not existed. When I get home at night I try to stay away from all computers and simply focus on my Hunny, Friends, Cooking (and of course maybe a little reality TV) :)
I have tried several new recipes in the past week. Some were hits and others were flops. One of the hits was Greek Orzo and Beef Casserole. I found the recipe in one of my Weight Watcher Recipe Books and even as weird as some of the spices sounded with beef and pasta, it was INCREDIBLE and EASY! It also made for awesome leftovers for lunch the next day!
Greek Orzo and Beef Casserole
Level: Basic
Prep: 20 min
Cook/Bake: 55 min
Serves: 6
INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 cups orzo
1 pound ground lean beef
1 red onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried mint
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
3 tablespoons grated Romano Cheese (or parmesan)
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain in colander. Rinse under cold running water; drain again. Transfer to large bowl.
3. Meanwhile, spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, breaking it apart with wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain if needed. Transfer to orzo in bowl.
4. Spray skillet with nonstick spray. Add onion, celery, garlic, mint, and oregano; cook stirring, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with puree, tomato paste, and cinnamon; reduce heat and simmer until mixture is thickened, about 8 minutes. Stir in feta. Stir into beef mixture. Transfer beef mixture to prepared baking dish; sprinkle with Romano. Bake until heated through, about 25 minutes.


No comments:
Post a Comment