
The other day I posted about my favorite recipes that came out of my kitchen in 2010, well, 2011 is already given 2010 a run for its money!
I was cooking dinner for “Charleston”, his sister and brother-in-law the other night and wanted to try something new. Needless to say Pioneer Woman pulled through for me again.
Hands down, The Best Lasagna Ever, Is seriously the best lasagna ever.
I don’t do frozen lasagna. I REPEAT, frozen lasagna from the grocery freezer section has never seen the inside of my oven unless there was truly a very sad sad situation. But then again, I have always heard the troubles with making homemade lasagna and have stayed far away from attempting it.
This lasagna recipe is super easy because you cook everything before assembly! Use it to feed many people or easily split it into two pans to feed two smaller groups. Cook one pan tonight and freeze the other for later!
There is just one thing I did different from Pioneer Woman’s recipe:
I used Fresh Mozzarella from the deli section and it made the WORLD of a difference. I know it was more expensive but…I beg you, if you make this recipe for the first time, just bite the bullet and use fresh mozzarella. Please. Trust. Me.
The is a crowd please hands down!
1-½ pound Ground Beef
1 pound Hot Breakfast Sausage
2 cloves Garlic, Minced
2 cans (14.5 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes
2 cans (6 Ounce) Tomato Paste
2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
2 Tablespoons Dried Basil
1 teaspoon Salt
3 cups Low fat Cottage Cheese
2 whole Beaten Eggs
½ cups Grated (not Shredded) Parmesan Cheese
2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
1 teaspoon Salt
1 pound Sliced Mozzarella Cheese
1 package (10 Ounce) Lasagna Noodles
(add 1/2 Teaspoon Salt And 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil To Pasta Water)
Preparation Instructions
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet or saucepan, combine ground beef, sausage, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until browned. Drain half the fat; less if you’re feeling naughty. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons parsley, basil and salt. After adding the tomatoes, the sauce mixture should simmer for 45 minutes while you are working on the other steps.
In a medium bowl, mix cottage cheese, beaten eggs, grated Parmesan, 2 more tablespoons parsley, and 1 more teaspoon salt. Stir together well. Set aside. Cook lasagna until “al dente” (not overly cooked).
To assemble:Arrange 4 cooked lasagna noodles in the bottom of a baking pan, overlapping if necessary. Spoon half the cottage cheese mixture over the noodles. Spread evenly. Cover cottage cheese with a layer of mozzarella cheese. Spoon a little less than half the meat/sauce mixture over the top.
Repeat, ending with meat/sauce mixture. Sprinkle top generously with extra Parmesan.
Either freeze, refrigerate for up to two days, or bake immediately: 350-degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until top is hot and bubbly!


1 comment:
Sounds absolutely amazing! I always use the recipe on the side of the Mueller's lasagna noodle box :) I will have to try this the next time!
Post a Comment