Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Nursery Furniture

I am finding out really fast that it is SUPER easy to spend a TON of money on a nursery.  If it's your first child, you really are starting from scratch....like me.

Many many thank you's to my family for helping us avoid this money pit.  Blair is letting us have the rocker that she used for Livi and Jack.  Jack no longer uses it and it is taking up play space in his room. My mom and dad wanted to buy us a crib so we went with an economical choice, the Graco Lauren Crib in Classic Cherry.

The last necessity left for nursery furniture was a changing table.  Everywhere you look online there are small changing tables like this:

It is great if you are tight on space but, have you ever changed a two year old's diaper on one of these? Yes, I have and practically impossible.  The child hangs of the end.  I picked the brains of several of my mommy friends and the advice from them was to A. Change your child on the floor when he gets older/taller or B. Use a dresser with a changing pad.  The issue with choice A is that when the child starts to become mobile, they can crawl or walk away if they are being changed on the floor.  With option B, the child has no option to crawl or walk away BUT a dresser is an expensive purchase since we do not currently own an extra.  

To try and save a little $$$, I went to the only place that seemed reasonable....shop Craigslist.

My original search found a "Children's Dresser/Changing Table $100 in Troutman."  The add said it was in good condition with minor scratches and made of solid wood.

As soon as my eye met the ad picture I knew it was exactly what I was looking for. SOLD.

After work, I headed to Troutman, handed the nice gentleman $100, loaded my new dresser/changing table in the 4-runner and headed home.
Deal Done.
My plan:  stain this new piece to match the cherry finish on the crib and rocker

Matt was impressed with my find and was really excited I had saved us some $$$.  He did some quick research and found the dresser online.  Retail $500.



 The only thing missing from the Craigslist dresser was the bun feet that screw into the bottom.  Matt went online and found unfinished standard bun feet on eBay for $14 that we will stain ourselves and attach.  Again, another great deal.

I could not be more happy with this new addition to our son's future nursery!




I LOVE finding a good deal and saving a couple hundred bucks!!!

No comments: