Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Things They Should Tell Us But Don't


I sit in an office that has two large flat screen TV’s on ALL DAY. I watch the News (CNBC, FOX, and Local); you name it and I see the headline all day long. I feel like I am personal friends with Captain Sully who landed the plane in the Hudson, best friends with Michelle Obama, diagnosed myself twice with Swine Flu and the talking heads on Squawk Box – they better be glad I am not in Chicago or NYC because those people are straight up rude and annoying.

Anyway, again this morning was a headline about fast food. Several months ago there was similar coverage about all the fillers being placed in fast food. To be able to hold onto the 99 cent menus with rising food prices, fast food restaurants have started incorporating even more fillers to keep the price of these “mystery” meats down. As I was discussing this with several friends, the topic of the Burger King Veggie Burger came about and surprisingly it was pointed out again today on the news. For those of you that opt for the “Veggie” burger because it seems to be healthier then beef or chicken, you might want to think twice when ordering it at a fast food restaurant. At Burger King, the Veggie Burger with cheese has more calories and more fat then:

Chicken Tenders (8pc)
Original Chicken Sandwich w/o mayo
Tendergrill Chicken Sandwich w/o mayo
Flame Broiled Hamburger AND cheeseburger
Whopper Jr. with or without cheese


Now if you eat the Veggie burger because you are 100% totally vegetarian – you still might want to think again. Found at the very bottom of Burger King’s nutritional menu in very fine prints it states:


“Burger King Corporation makes no claim that the BK VEGGIE Burger or any other of its products meets the requirements of a vegan or vegetarian diet. The patty is cooked in the microwave.”


I think I just caught something in my throat! UGH! Not only does it contain some sort of filler but it is cooked in the microwave! Enough said.


If you want to eat safe and healthy, always opt for the salad (but watch the dressing and croutons on top!)

No comments: