Thursday, August 12, 2010

It's All About The Eyes

I feel like Polly pocket or Barbie. It’s going to take some getting used to.

The other day I noticed that my eyes were slightly itchy and all around my eye area was becoming fairly dry. I tried a new eye cream and it didn’t make a difference.
I tried several things and absolutely no change.

I then started investigating my makeup. I have a makeup bag FULL of eye shadow, liner, blush, my staple Bare Essentials, mascara etc. “Charleston” calls it my artist palette! After my investigation I found one clue: I don’t remember the last time I bought eye shadow. I have eye shadow in every color. I knew I had 75% of it; I had opened 50% of it; I had used MAYBE 40% of it.. but I had 0% idea of when I had bought it.

The ultimate conclusion = ALL OF MY EYESHADOW IS EXTREMELY OLD!

I had one compact with shades of grey and blues for smoky eyes that my roommate my senior year of college had bought me. The worst thing is that I was still using it on the weekends! No wonder my eye lids were dry, this stuff is almost 4 years old!

GROSS!

I filled up the trash can and slipped on over to ULTA to do my eyelids a favor. I searched aisles and aisles of makeup and it seems that the newest trend (Or new to me... This could have been around for 3 years and I wouldn’t have known!) is to advertise eye shadow by the actual eye color. There was a row of shadows just for brown eyes; A row of shadows that claims to be perfect just for hazel eyes, etc. etc, all promising to bring out your natural eye color and make it pop.

Well I fell for it. I picked up several compacts with various shades, SUPPOSEDLY just for green eyes.
Almay Intense i-color trio for green eyes
Maybelline Expert ear Eyeshadow Quad: Charcoal Smokes
Revlon Colorstay 12 Hour Eyeshadow Quad Berry Bloom

Yesterday I wore the Revlon and today I have on the Almay and I feel like a Barbie doll. My eyelids are shades of pink, green and purple. If applied the wrong way I could give myself a killer fake bruise! These colors are bright and bold; something I haven’t been used to since high school. I was skeptical and wondered if I had just wasted a lot of money until….I walked in the door and during a run-in with a co-worker, he said I had really pretty green eyes. I see this dude all the time and he has never mentioned my eyes. Seriously.
Crazy what a little crazy color will do for ya! I don’t feel like Barbie anymore…I feel pppprrrreeettttyyyy


No comments: