My Favorite Christmas Carol?
Easy.
Carol of the Bells; for many reasons hands down my fave.
First, Carol of the Bells was the song I played in my very first Christmas piano recital. I took piano for many years from Mrs. Jenny Lail (all-time the most amazing pianist. One word: inspiration). I LOVE playing the piano. Do you think it’s possible to get a baby grand up to the 4th floor of a 1500sq/ft apartment in downtown Charlotte? Ok, so maybe I will have to wait until I get my own house to buy a piano, but . . . when the funds are there it will be the first thing I do; I will take up piano again. (Think Mrs. Jenny will drive from Kernersville to Charlotte to give me lessons?...might have to work on that one a little more!)
Second, Carol of the Bells was my favorite Christmas carol to sing in Caprice during high-school. Caprice was an all-girls honors ensemble. Starting in 1964 when East Forsyth High School opened, Maxine Blackwell began and developed a highly successful choral music program with Caprice and Madrigals. (Madrigals being a co-ed group). Caprice and Madrigals still continue to this day and every year they do a holiday program at six elementary schools and are running on a 40 year tradition. This holiday program features songs as “Fruitcake,” “Carol of the Bells,” “The Twelve Days After Christmas,” and “Twas the Night before Christmas.” Caprice was absolute fun because I got in with my Sister and several other girlfriends. It was a little break during my high-school day and we all know I love to sing - all the time! (right Lee Lee Routh?!)
So…that’s why I love Carol of the Bells, it marks some special and fun points in my life.
What’s your favorite?
Here are three of my favorite songs we sang in Caprice (obviously not my Caprice group, but you get the idea....)
Fruitcake:
Twelve Days After Christmas:
Carol of the Bells:
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment