Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What To Do With Cabbage???

Cabbage? Um, no thank you? Never really been too sure what to do with it…possibly make slaw? Well slaw isn’t that healthy with all the mayo and doesn’t make much of a meal….what the h*ll can you really do with cabbage?

Thanks to Happy Herbivore my problems are solved. I am trying my 110% darndest to lose weight but with the recent addition of a male species in my apartment more times than none, I find myself cooking more than I used to then in my “single chic” days of grilling a piece of fish and putting it over greens. That kind meal doesn’t always fly with a starving 6”2’ manly man. These additional calories of a “meat and potato” diet are adding up and keeping me set at the weight I am at. Something has to change!

Well last week when I was a “single chic” for one night I experimented with a healthy recipe: Mexican Cabbage and I honestly enjoyed it. It was a warm meal that was filling but still calorie cautious. It made a TON of food so I packed up the leftovers and took them to work the next two days providing me with a hearty lunch that took only seconds to heat up in the microwave. The second best thing about this meal was that it was super-de-doper cheap after buying all store brand ingredients!

Now, I am warning you, I would never sit “Charleston” down to a meal like this. He would look at me like I was crazy. If we were going to make this meal together, I would grill a chicken breast and serve it on the top with a French baguette on the side to scoop some deliciousness up with!

Mexican Cabbage
Ingredients:
· ½ whole cabbage
· 1 whole sweet onion, diced
· 2 whole garlic cloves, minced
· 8 ounces tomato sauce
· 4 ounces green chilies, diced
· 2 tbsp tomato paste
· 1 tsp cumin
· ½ tsp oregano or majarom
· ¼ tsp black pepper
· 1 cup corn, frozen
· 1 cup black beans, cooked
· ¼ cup baked corn chips

Instructions:
Chop cabbage into thin strips, set aside. Line a medium saucepan with water and sauté onions and garlic over high heat until translucent. Add cabbage, tomato sauce, chilies, paste and spices. Reduce heat to medium and cook until cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in frozen corn until evenly distributed. Taste test, adjusting spices as needed. Salt to taste if desired. Mix in black beans before serving. Break corn tortilla chips into small pieces in your hand and sprinkle over top before serving.


And then of course it wouldn't be a good post if I didnt put any pics up of the cutest little niece in the entire world!
**Click any pic to view larger**
Olivia playing with Sisters hair clips in the bathroom

Livi and Sister at Grandaddy and Shelbie's house




2 comments:

Caroline said...

Oooh I have a good way to use cabbage. Buy a head of napa cabbage (the green kind) - slice it thinly and top it with a little olive oil, fresh lime juice and salt and pep. It's delicious just like that (a little different play off a salad) or you can use it in place of lettuce on burgers and tacos. I hate iceburg lettuce b/c I feel like there is no nutritional benefit to it - so I use napa cabbage instead. ;)

Blain said...

That sounds delish! That would be perfect to take to work in the summer as a side to my sandwich for lunch instead of my old boring pasta salad recipe! Thanks lady! :)