Monday, December 5, 2011

My Thanksgiving Contribution

We had Thanksgiving dinner this year with the Atkins family and I asked "Charleston's" mom if I could bring anything and she politely said no.  I couldn't take no for an answer (I know that shocks some of you :) ) so I decided to take over a couple appetizers since we would be hanging out for a little before dinner.

It was a no brainer on this first recipe.  It never fails when we go out to dinner, Barbara ("Charleston's" mom), will order some form of spinach dip and I am with her in that decision, it's one of my faves!  I have never made it before so after a short Pinterest search I found one that was super appealing:

via Martha Stewart

Ingredients

  • 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more for baking dish
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 pounds spinach, cleaned, trimmed, and coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 6 ounces reduced-fat bar cream cheese
  • 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
  • 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • Baguette slices, bread sticks, or crackers, for serving
  • **Blain's recipe tweeks:  I used about 1 1/2 cups mozzarella AND also added a half cup shredded Parmesan**

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; cook until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
  2. Add spinach in two additions, letting the first batch wilt before adding the next; cook until completely wilted, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a colander; drain, pressing to release all excess liquid.
  3. In the same pot, warm milk over high heat. Whisk in cream cheese until melted, about 3 minutes. Add spinach, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and 1/4 cup mozzarella; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into a lightly oiled 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.
  4. Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot with accompaniments, as desired.

Overall, EXCELLENT and super easy!
When I asked "Charleston" if I should take anything else he immediately said "Cocktail Weenies."  WTF its Thanksgiving! not the super bowl!
So lets back up a minute.  I made him watch an episode of Hungry Girl one day on Food Network and on the show she made Cocktail Weenies for a gathering.  Obviously those little puppies stuck in his head and he has been wanting them since.  I was very reluctant because who makes cocktail weenies for Thanksgiving but to please the man in my life, I did what I was told:

Ingredients 
  • 14 hot dogs with about 40 calories and 1g fat or less each (like the kind by Hebrew National)
  • 3/4 cup very finely chopped yellow onion
  • 1 cup chili sauce (the kind found by the ketchup)
  • 3/4 cup low-sugar grape preserves/jelly
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • Directions 
Cut each hot dog into thirds, leaving you with cocktail-sized franks. Place in a crock pot. Add onion to the crock pot as well. In a bowl, combine chili sauce, preserves/jelly, and mustard; mix well. Add to the crock pot and gently stir to coat. Cover and cook on low for 3 - 4 hours.Stir well and then serve up the hot dogs with extra sauce on top!
So we gathered that afternoon, ate spinach dip and cocktaili weenies, all the while I got picked on becuase it looked like my cooking expertise went no further then hot dogs! Yes they joked and picked on me the entire time BUT I will tell you that my crockpot was EMPTY when we were done.  Every weenie was gone.  Obviously they liked my cooking well enough, even if it was only hot dogs!

No comments: