Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Tea It Up


There has been a slight change to my morning routine. I started this habit several months ago and I honestly feel the pay off. I have switched all my morning coffee to green tea . Many coffee drinkers say they love their coffee and never switch to drinking tea instead. However there are numerous reasons why making that switch to tea can really improve your life!

Although recent research has shown that coffee does have some benefits for the human body such as helping to fight diabetes and that it is a strong stimulant, green tea has considerable more health benefits than coffee. For example, while coffee drinking can make your teeth brittle and discolored, tea drinking can actually greatly benefit your teeth, helping to prevent cavities and improving bad breath!

Ancient Chinese people knew the benefits of green tea for health. They have always used it for medical purposes. However, in Ancient China, it was used especially against the headaches and depression. Green tea has a great importance in China history. It is produced from the leaves of Camellia Sinensis by some special processes. Unlike black tea, it has little amount of caffeine which causes to insomnia and nausea.

This is the list of benefits of green tea which I've found during my research:
-It is used to treat multiple sclerosis.
-It is used for treatment and prevention of cancer.
-It is used to stop Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases.
-It is used to raise the metabolism and increase fat oxidation.
-It reduces the risk of heart diseases and heart attacks by reducing the risk of trombosis.
-It reduces the risk of esophageal cancer.
-Drinking green tea inhibits the growth of certain cancer cells, reduces the level of cholesterol in blood, and improves the ratio of good cholesterol to bad cholesterol.
-It is used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and cardiovascular diseases
-It is used to treat impaired immune function. .
-Some researches show that, drinking green tea regularly may help prevent tooth decay by killing the bacteria which causes the dental plaque.
Not Sure what kind of green tea to try? I suggest several of my favorites – all found at your local grocery or Trader Joes :

(I am not talking about the kind of green tea you can get in a Lipton bottle! Check the nutrition labels and ingredients on those – not what you may think! These are all tea bags!)

- Yogi: Green Tea Super Antioxidant (organic)
- Taxo: Envy Green Tea (organic)
- Bigelow: Green Tea with Pomegranate
- AriZona® Green Tea with Ginseng & HoneyAriZona Green Tea with Pomegranate and Acai

I like my tea strong so I use two tea bags in a "to-go" coffee mug with hot water (not boiling!)
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Bigelow Tea said...

So glad you are enjoying your Bigelow tea...I am sure you know but AriZona and Bigelow have partnered to create new organic teas just in time for the summer.

Thanks again for supporting Bigelow.

Valorie for Bigelow Tea