Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Italian Salad Pizza

I try to eat healthy but I can only shove so many salads and raw vegetables into my mouth. Every now and then, even in the summer, I need something a little more satisfying.

Last year I found a recipe in my Pampered Chef Cookbook called Italian Salad Pizza. I used to make it all the time last year, then somehow I forgot about it. Last Wednesday while “Charleston” was in town I wanted to make something a little on the healthier side without sitting him down to a bowl of rabbit food. Therefore, I pulled out my trusty Italian Salad Pizza recipe and it was a hit!

It’s cheap, VERY easy and delicious!

(check below the recipe for the “Blain” modifications!)

Italian Salad Pizza
Source: The Pampered Chef

Pizza Crust:
1 (10 ounce) package refrigerated pizza crust
2 garlic cloves 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
4 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (1 cup)
4 ounces fresh Parmesan cheese, shredded, divided (1 cup)

Salad Topping:
5 cups romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing

Heat oven to 425 degrees F.

For crust, roll out dough to edge of 15-inch baking stone, pizza pan or cookie sheet. Press garlic cloves over crust and spread evenly. Sprinkle dough with herbs and 1/4 of the Parmesan cheese. Bake on bottom oven rack 12-14 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

While crust is baking, prepare toppings. Shred mozzarella cheese, grate Parmesan cheese, slice lettuce, chop tomato. Slice Olives. Thinly slice red onion. Place lettuce, tomato, olives, and red onion in mixing bowl. Add dressing; toss to coat.

Remove crust from oven to cooling rack. Immediately top with mozzarella cheese, ¼ Parmesan cheese and salad mixture. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Cut with pizza slicer; serve warm.

Makes 8 servings.

Nutrition facts per serving: 160 calories; 5 g fat, 250 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

Blain’s Italian Salad Pizza Modifications
- DON’T measure anything! If you want more Basil, add more Basil. If you want more Parm, add more Parm. If you hate chopping garlic, used minced garlic from the jar…if you like garlic, use the entire jar! (just don’t come close to me after your done eating!)

- I use MamaMary’s Thin and Crispy Pizza Crust. It’s easier then the refrigerated stuff. Just brush it with olive oil and then add the ingredients.

- I use Kens Steak House Northern Italian Lite salad dressing: YUM!

- NO olives for me…Olives only have a home in Martini’s and Bloody Marys!
- Several minutes before you pull the pizza dough out of the oven, throw on some cooked shredded chicken to add a little protein and pop it back in the oven for the remaining minutes to heat! I like to use Oscar Mayer Chicken Breast - Southwestern Seasoned Strips that you can find in the lunch meat section of the grocery store!


No comments: