

I have lived in Charlotte for almost two years now. I have several wonderful groups of friends who I do everything with but...you can never have enough friends! So several weeks ago I decided now that the weather is pretty I want to do more activities outside. Therefore I went online and found a group that gets together at least two or three times a week to do outdoor activities, dinner and drinks, movies and even weekend trips. This is a pretty large group so it might not be the same people for every activity. Well last night we met at 5:30 at Freedom Park to play kickball! If you live in this area you know the weather was “iffy” all day long, but at 4:00 we received a text that said “Kickball is on!” So, about 20 of us met in the drizzle by the train at the park and played Kickball for about two hours! Honestly, it was like taking it back to fifth grade again. I have never laughed so hard in my life and had the best time with 19 total strangers who I now hope to stay in contact with. I also learned something about myself last night. On my way to kickball I was on the phone with my mother. The first question she asked was, “Who are you going with?” and my response was “by myself.” My mom seemed kind of shocked. She then asked, “Do you know anyone there?” and I answered with a “Nope.” Last night I realized that I don’t need someone to hold my hand everywhere I go. I am a “big” girl. I can go someone where on my own and meet new people on my own. If I sit back and wait until I had a friend to try something new, I might never branch out. Coming from a small town, going to college where I already knew several people, and moving to Charlotte where I already had friends – I never had to seek out people to do anything. I always just called up someone I knew if I wanted to do something. Well….. Sure for someone like me it might be intimidating to walk up to a group of 20 people and not know anyone, but to be able to do that allows you to walk away with ten times more confidence. Try it! Go out and do something that you want to do on your own. You will be surprised!


No comments:
Post a Comment