Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Little Obsession






So I have a slight obsession - no it’s not a pretty pair of shoes or a gold bangle bracelet. It is National Geographic! My 7th grade social studies teacher had EVERY copy of the National Geographic magazine that ever came out and instantly I was hooked. The articles and photography was absolutely amazing! I then started watching the National Geographic specials they aired on TV. The one that really got me was an episode on truck drivers in the Arctic that traveled thousands of miles on nothing but sheets of ice! That’s right, no concrete pavement! These were 18 wheeler trucks running at a normal speed but not on a road; they were over big frozen bodies of water! Obviously a very risky job! I fell in love with the photography from this show which had pictures taken from below the surface of the ice looking up on a passing truck! Ask me how the photographer did it – I don’t know, but it blew my mind! (This show is now on the History Channel!) The things that can be captured on camera are true talent! I then got addicted to other shows like ‘Man-Made’ where on each episode they show/describe/discuss different engineering marvels. Some include the Bering Strait Bridge, Channel Tunnel, Autobahn, San Alfonso Del mar, Dubai Islands, Project Genesis, and Olympic Stadiums! (Honestly, GOOGLE some of these!) Maybe this is why I did Industrial Engineering and loved working at GE Aircraft because I could watch this stuff or hours! Ask any of my past roomies…these shows and “How’s It Made” were on the top of my list! At least on those nights I knew I had the living room to myself :)
Link: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/
Link: http://www.history.com/minisites/iceroadtruckers


No comments: