Friday, January 22, 2010

Can I Make The Adjustment?

Eight 60W light bulbs shine right in my face.

I sometimes walk out looking like this:
And sometimes looking like this:

This has honestly been the hardest thing to adjust to in moving from one apartment to the next.
I can get used to having a bigger room, a bigger closet, a new furniture layout, new sounds and new kitchen appliances but….getting used to a different light in the bathroom is proving to be impossible.

We all have our routines. While living at Eastover Ridge and using the same bathroom for three years, I knew exactly how many brush strokes it took to apply just enough blush. I knew that I needed to apply a little more eye shadow at night for it to show up in the light outside of the bathroom. I knew just how much bronzer to sweep across my forehead and still look like a white girl. I knew exactly what I needed to do in my bathroom light to look OK in the light elsewhere.
Well all this has changed and I came to work the other day and everyone asked me if I was feeling OK. I did not understand until I checked myself out in the work bathroom mirror and I looked like death had come over me. It looked as if I walked right out of the shower and into the office; makeup-less.

The light in my new bathroom is SO bright that even the slightest bit of color makes me look like a stripper on stage. So while in the new bathroom it looks like I am applying enough makeup to be in the Little Miss Perfect pageant, I really walk out looking like a ghost while in the kitchen light. So I go back in and add more and then I have overdone it. Where is the happy medium I used to have at my old apartment!!!

It’s going to be a struggle, but ill survive. Just do me a favor…if you see me in public and I am really washed out or "stripper-like"…tell me to turn around and try again. Only time will tell if I can adjust to the new light in my new bathroom.

No comments: