Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Its A New Year...Let The Fun Begin!


This is my 10th attempt at trying to reflect on 2009 and I honestly am at a loss for words. I have started this paragraph and erased it over and over again.

It was a year. A long and learning year.

I turned 25; a quarter century. I went from being in one relationship, almost moving in with that person…to ending the relationship; finding what makes me happy; beginning a journey towards my dream career and meeting someone very special that makes my heart and face glow. I spent some of the best time with my family and friends celebrating holidays, weddings and engagements.

All of that in 365 days.

It can be done.

I did it.

I look back and wonder how I accomplished and survived so many big decisions and there is one thing to credit – a positive attitude and outlook.

It sounds cliché but it’s the truth.

I kept my heart open, my eyes and ears open, and simply let life happen.

In 2009:
I wanted to meet someone that I truly cared about and that cared about me just as much. I wanted to meet someone that stole my every bit of attention but allowed me my own space and respect to live my life the way I wanted. I wanted someone that I enjoyed and yearned to be around every minute but could still survive if we were forced to be apart. I never went out on a Saturday night seeking this person. I didn’t plan my weekends around trying to meet a guy or only going to events where I thought I would meet Mr. Right. I lived life doing what I wanted to do with my friends and one day, without expectation, I found someone that brings something to me I have never felt before. I truly feel like I meet him for a reason. I didn’t force it. I just believed in it.
Do you ever feel like if you talk about something too much you will jinx it? I do. Therefore, I try not to analyze mine and “Charleston’s” relationship but I know one thing ... He makes me happy and that’s all I can ask for right now.

In 2009:
I wanted to take control of my future. I have a wonderful job but I know that in my heart it is not what I picture myself doing as a career. My boss at GE, Jay Combs, once gave me the most influential lecture I will ever hear and he preached it to me every day. A job and a career are not the same. A career is something you have a passion for; something you strive to do and want to do. A career is something you make a life out of and build your life on. If you consider what you do 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, a “job”… you are not done. Keep searching. Don’t stop until you find your career. Do not get complacent. Keep moving until you wake up every morning excited to start your work-day. Following his advice, a career is not going to fall into my hands. I took certain steps in 2009 that have prepared me for going after my dream. I can’t wait for this dream to play out.

2009 was a wonderful year and I can’t wait to build on it in 2010.

I learned a lot. I was blessed beyond belief and am excited for all the exciting things to happen in 2010! I will become an aunt to a beautiful niece who I will spoil rotten. I am moving to a new apartment in the city with two of the most amazing roommates and I vow to live each day with a positive outlook with my heart, mind, eyes and ears all open.

No comments: