Monday, November 29, 2010

A Taste Of Home

My house has a certain feeling.

It’s the comforting feeling of waking up on a Saturday to find dad piddling around in the garage and mom in her PJs in the kitchen feeding Lily Cat. Walking into the kitchen to make a cup of coffee and curling up on the couch with momma, the Winston-Salem Journal and TLC on TV. My house is Dad coming in with his jacket and boots on with a crisp air from the outside surrounding him as he sits down on the computer to browse. It’s a feeling of familiarity. My house is opening and closing the front door over and over and over again so that Lily Cat can come and go as she pleases as her cat curiosities kill her. And all of this happening simultaneously before 8:30am.

Its home.

It’s a Saturday morning or a holiday like this past Thanksgiving.

It’s what I love.

It’s what I miss.

It’s the simple feelings of life that I will cherish forever.

It’s the one positive aspect of not permanently living Kernersville.

It’s the opportunity to go back home on a weekend or holiday and truly LIVE in my house again just like I did eight years ago; Experience all those morning sights and sounds just like I did for 20 some years. You really take for granted that when you wake up in the morning the house is always clean, there are always groceries in the fridge and the yard is always mowed. It’s comforting to be at home and in many ways still be able to be the “kid” and have mom and dad take care of you; make your cup of coffee with exactly the right amount of sugar and cream.

This wouldn’t be so if I lived in Kernersville. I would have my own house and would never need to stay at my parents again. Where is the fun in that?

People ask me over and over when I am going to move back to Kernersville and over and over again my answer is the same: no time soon. I like it here in Charlotte and I love the life that I have built. I do miss so much about Kernersville but mainly it’s not the town, it’s the people. It’s Mom and Dad, Sister, Sam and Olivia. It’s Aunt Sharon and Uncle Bob. Its Grandma and Paw- Paw. It’s Chad, Tara, Landon and Addie. It’s my house and the experiences and history it has inside of it. But by not living in Kernersville, I get to truly experience going home. Getting to take a step back every time and sleeping in my room and waking up to everything familiar. It is like this past weekend where I was reminded exactly what it was like to live at home…and it was perfect! More than I could have asked for. I will ALWAYS know where my true home is and it is on Gehring Drive.

**click any picture to view larger**
Many things have stayed the same in my home for the past 20 years but there are so many things that have changed that remind me everyday that life is good and it goes on. My room is now Livi's room for when she stays with Mom and Dad. There are baby toys everywhere and little girl clothes in the dirty laundry. I guess its like what our house used to be like 26 years ago with Blair and I. It reminds me that life is good
Here is the little turkey herself in her Thanksgiving outfit!
And I couldn't resist snapping one of her in the bathtub! Those little eyes staring up at me melts every bit of my heart.

It was a perfect Thanksgiving!

No comments: