When one person in the relationship develops a bowel disorder it puts the relationship on the fast track of being comfortable around each other in ALL sorts of situations.
I have had some girlfriends that refuse to go "number-two" with their boyfriend or husband in the same room or in the same vicinity. On the flip side, usually the guy is a little more "advanced" in discussing and expressing his bowels, like farting in the same room as you but.... there is still that weird fine line that most couples just don't cross.
Well, "Charleston" and I have totally crossed all lines, several times, back and forth since his diagnosis. It just happens; it kind of has to happen, its part of this disease.
We can still be immature at times when it comes to discussing his "poo" as being "pudding like" etc (sorry for grossing some of you out) and we can giggle like five year olds in the middle of describing some of his symptoms but it has become our reality and honestly, it has brought us a million times closer.
I have been in Chapel Hill this weekend with "Charleston" while he has been receiving another treatment to bring this ulcerative colitis flare up into remission and while I have been here, he seems to be making some progress. Besides performing another colonoscopy, the best way to tell if this drug is working is if he starts to go to the bathroom less then three times a day, starts hearing and having normal bowel sounds and functions, and if there is less blood in his stool (I hate the word stool but its what all the docs use so I will try to be as politically correct as possible).
Well yesterday "Charleston" called me into his room and he was so proud, gleaming from ear to ear.........
As soon as I walked in, I was floored. It smelled TERRIBLE. "Charleston" informed me that he just farted and before, he had not been able to poot in like two months without having to go to the bathroom just-in-case! He was like a kid on Christmas he was so excited and honestly, I almost had a tear in my eye I was so excited for him. It was a sign that his bowels were moving in the right direction to being back to normal. It was a mini milestone.
Its the little things in our relationship that mean so much now :)
This is the weirdest happiest moment I have ever had!
(There is a huge smile under there if you can't tell!)



No comments:
Post a Comment