So here is how our (me and Blair) blackberry messenger convo went yesterday….Blain: Hey. Saturday, can we meet you at your house and ride with you to Matt and Katie’s for the shower?
(We have a couple’s baby shower this weekend in Kernersville)
Blair: Sure. Meet us there at 11 or 12.
Blain: Okie Dokie! Thanks sister!
Blair: Yeap
Blain: How’s my niece?
(My twin sister is pregnant with a little girl!)
Blain: Swimming around….
Still like your hair??
(Sister got her hair butchered last week; I am talking CHOPPED OFF short)
Blair: Uhhhhh kinda. I just am too lazy to fix it
Hey, if you get time today search the Internet for maternity clothes for spring..On sale.
Blain: Ok, I’ll send ya an email with some links……
So, I go online and start shopping:
#1. Maternity clothes are not cute
#2. Maternity clothes are not cheap
#3. Maternity clothes are not cute
and
#4. Maternity clothes are not cheap
I found several really cute things (hey, I might borrow them on Thanksgiving or something :))







Later in the afternoon I get this BBM message:Blair: Sister, those clothes are cute but I should have been more specific. I am so over grey, black and white!
Blain: Well pregnant people can’t be choosers. And some of these come in more than the color that the pic is showing. That was just the cheapest stuff I could find.
Blair: an ahhh ha ha ha the day I get my ass in a bathing suit! You won’t see that!
(I sent her a link to the cutest little maternity bathing suit)
Blain: I thought it was cute! And…there might be a reason they don’t put you pregnant people in anything but black :)
Let’s be serious….bold prints, crazy patterns and bright colors can’t make you feel slimming when you become 30lbs over weight in a record 7 months.
In summary, majority of maternity clothes are so not cute and majority of maternity clothes are so not cheap. Heidi Klum is getting the hint and came out with her own line of maternity clothes that are absolutely adorable but… you have to be stinkin’ rich to buy them. Pickles & Ice Cream Maternity Apparel also have really cute stuff but $80 bucks for a top is insane.
My suggestion:
Wear the gray and black.
Wear the gray and black.
You’re having a kid.
You will be fat.
Enjoy this time where it is acceptable to be fat.
You will be uncomfortable.
You will spend tons of money on clothes and the spending does not stop there – you are having a kid.
You might not look “cute” all the time.
You will wear boring colors in the spring…and there is nothing you can do about it.
Just be thankful God has allowed you to have a kid and so far both kid and mommy are healthy.
Now go get you a bowl of ice cream and a pickle and lounge around in your black sweat pants and grey tank top.
PS – I can’t wait to meet my niece!!!! And my future twin "nephews" Sarah is having for me!!!
Babies Babies everywhere!
(and will someone remind me of this post when I am pregnant and complaining about cute maternity clothes!)


1 comment:
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MATERNITY CLOTHES.
Oh. My. Gosh. Who designs those things? Men? Who have never been near a pregnant woman? I swear my entire maternity wardrobe was grey. BLECH.
Also, the denim is impossible. If you get the high waistbands, you feel like an old man who has his pants pulled up too high. And if you get the low waistband, your belly pushes it down so it becomes uncomfortable.
Just for the record, postpartum and nursing clothes are just as bad. If they aren't matronly, they're dull.
ANYWAY, what I came here to say was congratulations to your sister on her pregnancy and to you on becoming an aunt!! Hip hip hooray for babies!
Post a Comment