"I think this is going to be my new favorite." - "Charleston"
Those were the words I was looking for.
"Charleston" and I have really only seen each other in passing this week so I asked him to keep his schedule clear for last night. I wanted to try a new recipe and spend some quality time with my b/f before another busy weekend.
I scored big on this date night. He LOVED dinner and I was excited because it was ultimately cheap and SUPER easy to prepare.
My motivation for trying these particular recipes was that I am always in search for a meal that will feed many. We have tons friends in Charlotte and love to entertain, but always have to keep in mind that we don't want to spend a fortune and I don't want to spend all my social time in the kitchen.
Mission accomplished. This could feed an army! (If you are just cooking for two, you could easily cut the enchilada recipe in half and the rice recipe maybe into a third. I made the entire recipe and guess what we are having for lunch today!)
My Creation: Sorry for the poor picture quality..."Charleston" was too hungry to wait for me to go get my camera so the Blackberry had to suffice.
Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas
Adapted from: How Sweet It Is
Ingredientsmakes 8 enchiladas
8 large whole wheat tortillas (my favorite are La Tortilla Factory!)
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
28 ounce can red enchilada sauce
1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce (+ more depending on your taste buds)
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
4 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
5 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour enchilada sauce in a bowl and begin by whisking in 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce. Taste and adjust according to your desired level of heat – I added in 1/2 cup total. Set aside.
Add shredded chicken to a bowl with 2 green onions and 1/2 cup Monterrey jack cheese. Pour in about a 1/2 cup of enchilada/buffalo sauce mixture and mix thoroughly. Stir until mixture comes together.
Pour a drizzle of enchilada/buffalo sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Take each tortilla and fill it with a few heaping tablespoons of the chicken mixture. Roll each up and set it in the baking dish, seam side down. Pour another 1/2 cup or more of enchilada/buffalo sauce on top of tortillas and add remaining Monterrey jack cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Immediately after taking enchiladas out of the oven, add crumbled Gorgonzola on top. Garnish with the remaining onions and cilantro and serve. Store the remaining sauce in the fridge for 1-2 weeks, and use if reheating enchiladas.
Good Ol' Basic Mexican Rice
Adapted from: The Pioneer Woman
Ingredients
2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
1/2 whole Large Onion, Chopped3 cloves Garlic, Minced
2 cups Long Grain Rice
1 can Rotel (10 Ounce)
1 can Whole Tomatoes (14.5 Ounce)
2 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth (more If Needed)
1 teaspoon Cumin (more To Taste)
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
Preparation Instructions
Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions, then cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add rice and garlic. Stir constantly, making sure the rice doesn’t burn. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes. Add Ro-tel and tomatoes. Stir to combine and let cook for 2 minutes. Finally, add broth, salt and cumin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 additional minutes or until rice is done. Add more liquid as needed; rice shouldn’t be sticky.
Just before serving, sprinkle lots of freshly chopped cilantro over the top. Serve immediately.




1 comment:
I have been wanting to try this one!! yum!
Post a Comment