Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A New Addition To My Kitchen

Last night I was like a kid in a candy store!  "Charleston" took me to Target to get a new crock pot!
                                   
Isn't she just the prettiest?!  It's fall and fall means chili!  Fall means pot roast and homemade soup and homemade spaghetti sauce and barbecued pulled pork and baked ziti and all things made in a slow cooker. 

About four years ago for Christmas my grandmother gave me a 5 quart crock pot.  I used the ba-jesus out of the thing!  It was still functional but was missing a handle, stained and the lid had a tiny crack.... and...it was only 5 quarts.  I wanted a big daddy! 
And there she is, 7 quarts of pure heaven!

(Tuesday nights for me include a spin class from 7:30 to 8:30 therefore, at 3:00 when I get off work today, my crock pot will be filled with the ingredients for Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili.  Turn that sucker on high for 5 hours and bam, dinner is ready when I walk in the door from the gym!  Anyone want to come over tonight?!)

Anyways....After our trip to Target, I came home and tried a new recipe for dinner.  "Charleston" and I strive to eat healthy but tend to stray towards comfort food as the weather changes from summer to fall.  Therefore, in an effort to keep the meal hot and fulfilling, but low cal and inexpensive, I tried the Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps from Skinny Taste.

Overall rating:  Excellent but MESSY!  Lettuce just doesn't hold up as well as a tortilla or taco shell.  This is definitely not a "first date" dinner.  I have warned you; please don't embarrass yourself because I promise you that you will!
Other then that, I can't complain!  It was wonderful!


Ingredients:

1.3 lbs 99% lean ground turkey
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 small onion, minced
2 tbsp bell pepper, minced
3/4 cup water
4 oz can tomato sauce
8 large lettuce leaves from Iceberg lettuce

Directions:
Brown turkey in a large skillet. When no longer pink add dry seasoning and mix well. Add onion, pepper, water and tomato sauce and cover. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.

Wash and dry the lettuce. Place meat in the center of leaf and top with tomatoes, cheese and salsa or whatever you prefer.
 
*Helpful Tip:  I bought two heads of lettuce.  It's just really hard to get off enough "good" leaves for the cups from one head.

No comments: