Monday, March 5, 2012

Weekend Cooking

I was in the mood yesterday to try something new so I attempted a homemade pasta sauce and I was highly impressed with the results!

I made the Weight Watchers version of a Creamy Tomato Sauce and honestly, I probably will never buy pasta sauce again.  It was delicious, SUPER easy, SUPER cheap and healthy.  Pasta sauces from the shelf are full of preservatives and sugar and honestly not worth the cost when you see how cheap you can make it. 

Creamy Tomato Sauce
Ingredients
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium uncooked leek(s), finely chopped (white part only)
1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
28 oz canned diced tomatoes
6 oz fat-free evaporated milk
2 Tbsp basil, fresh, finely chopped
1/8 tsp table salt, or more to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste

Instructions
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in oregano; cook 45 seconds. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer; partially cover pan and simmer 3 to 5 minutes.

Puree sauce in pan using an immersion blender. Or working in batches, transfer tomato mixture to a blender and puree until smooth (careful not to splatter hot liquid); return pureed tomato mixture to pan.

Set pan over low heat and add milk; simmer 1 minute to heat through. Remove pan from heat and stir in basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.


YUM, total comfort food!  I even brought some today to drizzle over a piece of bread to go with my lunch!

No comments: