Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Taco Meatloaf

I was tired of eating salads and yogurt yesterday that I just had to have a hot meal for dinner. I still wanted to stay on the healthier side of things so I made Taco Meatloaf out of the Hungry Girl cookbook. This was a new recipe for me but the shopping and directions seemed cheap and easy so I was all over it!

Let me just say… it was one of the easiest things I have ever made and it was delicious and satisfying! I assembled it in 8 minutes and while it cooked for 45 I got the bathroom floor mopped! Kill two birds with one stone!

Taco Meatloaf

Ingredients
1 pound raw extra-lean ground turkey (I used chicken)
3 slices of fat-free cheddar cheese (I used reduced-fat cheddar)
1/2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese (I used reduced-fat cheddar)
1 cup canned sweet corn kernels
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup salsa (I use Herdez salsa. My FAVORITE! It is on the salsa aisle of the grocery)
1 packet of taco seasoning mix, dry

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook peppers and onions for three minutes over medium heat in a pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
In a large bowl, combine onions and peppers with turkey, corn and seasoning mix. Spread half of the mixture evenly into the bottom of the loaf pan (about 9″x5″- I used a small rectangular ceramic dish) sprayed with nonstick spray.
Layer the three slices of fat-free cheese on top of the mixture (try to keep slices away from the pan’s edges). Evenly top with the remaining meat mixture.
Pour the salsa over the top of the loaf. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
Top loaf with shredded cheese. Return loaf to the oven and cook for another 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Amy said...

That looks phenomenal! I am going to have to try that one out!