Water was all over my desk, covering all four of my computer monitors, my phone, my keyboard, and my notepad….everything.
I was trying to swallow a pill and choked….projectiling all fluids forward.
Monday I went to the CVS Minute Clinic with a sinus infection. I had just battled a cold and the cold won, taking over some real estate in my sinuses. Dr. Non-Social gave me a prescription of Amoxicillin and sent me on my merry way.
My Amoxicillin paired with Mucinex D has been keeping me alive this week…until today, it almost claimed a life.
I have NEVER been able to swallow pills. As a child (ok, and as a teenager) my grandmother would have to dissolve all forms of medication into a shot of Pepsi. No matter what kind of capsule, she would bust it, break it, and stand on her head to get that sucker to dissolve. I can swallow huge chunks of food; I can swallow my gum on command when a teacher would say spit it out but, when it comes to pills, NOPE, no way. It’s a head game with me; just not going to happen.
Finally by the end of high school I realized how ridiculous I look drinking half a bottle of children’s Tylenol just to get a dose that’s enough for my weight or crushing an Advil in my morning OJ to get through a day of cramps. If I am old enough to have a period with cramps I am old enough to swallow a teeny tiny pill. I started trying REALLY hard, practicing with Smarties and seriously concentrating. After much practice and a stomach full of candy I trained myself to choke down the smallest of a pill.
Well today my amoxicillin pill got the best of me…but it wasn’t my fault. A horse couldn’t swallow these suckers! Why do they have to make them so big! Its 2010, where is the technology to shrink these puppies but with the same dosage of the drug? What’s worse is that I actually NEED this medication, all the way down to the last one. It’s not optional like Tylenol for a headache. So when this pill came flying back out of my throat and into my mouth I had to taste its bitterness (because of course it doesn’t have any kind of coating) and take another sip of water and try again. Let’s just say forth time is a charm :)
It’s all a head game. I swallowed a piece of granola bar this morning bigger then that pill but time and time again, the pill dominates me.
Does anyone else have a little “issue” they can’t seem to get over?
Friday, September 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment