Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Moving Day In Greensboro

It was the first time in a long time that I stayed up for almost 24 hours straight….23.25 hours to be exact.

“Charleston” moved several weekends ago from one house in Greensboro to an apartment closer to downtown. I drove up to Greensboro after work on Friday to help and I think I got myself into more then I had planned for. We started at 7:30pm packing up boxes, his bead, kitchen stuff and bathroom. At first the plan was to just get his room taken care of so we had somewhere to sleep that night but, after we began, we were on a roll. It was just the two of us and we were tag teaming the entire thing…two machines at work! Because we had mastered the art of moving, I suggested that we just keep going, especially since it was supposed to rain on Saturday. Little did I remember I had gotten up that morning at 4am to go to work!

Well we moved furniture, and boxes, and furniture and boxes.

Now for the reality of the entire moving process:

First, I learned a lot. I learned to not wear flip flops while moving heavy furniture; pedicures will get ruined and toenails will go missing. Feet are already naturally unattractive, try taking a couple toenails off of them…UGH!

I learned to never show your boyfriend that you can lift one heavy box because he will soon start treating you like one of his 6ft guy friends expecting you to lift your end of the pullout sofa over your head.

I learned that it is not OK to cry during moving. Exhaustion cannot set in. No box is too heavy; no staircase it too long and no busted knuckle hurts bad enough to cry about. (I think I heard “Come on Blain, seriously?” more times than I have ever heard “Charleston” even say my name. ha ha)

I learned that sometimes its better just to keep your suggestions to yourself and always let the man take over…even if your idea would have saved 10 minutes and 100lbs of stress. Whether it’s moving or everyday life, a man’s motto is “A woman’s place is in the kitchen” so…if you just have to have your suggestions or opinions somewhere in the moving process, offer to unpack the kitchen and put stuff where it should go. Men are clueless about this stuff; pots and pans never go under the sink!

I learned that by moving at 12pm on a Friday you save all the time and hassle of traffic and other people being in your way.

I learned that if you love someone enough you will pull every muscle, pinch every nerve, and give up the comfort of sitting for the next two weeks to help them at all cause.

“Charleston” and I got the last couch in by 2:30am. Starving, and obviously able to handle the calories after the 7hour workout, we made a frozen pizza and enjoyed it in the living room on the coffee table.

Mission accomplished. The move was complete. We went to bed around 3:15am and woke up the next day to a steady downpour of rain. Our decision to not stop paid off despite my meltdowns, aching body and having to stay up almost 24 hours straight. Job well done.

Check out Charleston’s new apartment! (Please excuse the raw pictures. This was before the boxes had been unpacked and the apartment decorated!)

**Click on any picture to view larger**







2 comments:

Amy said...

Girl you are a good woman! I am meltdown central during moves ;)

Blain said...

Ha Ha Ha..it was a sight to see..I was a hot mess!