I was having pity parties for myself left and right.
I had the gut feeling all day that everyone in the world was advancing and I was a sitting duck in a pond that was quickly drying up.
At 6:30pm, in the car, on my way home from my terrible, no good, very bad day…I cried.
My car is my crying post. You know, many people use their car as a free place to sing to the top of their lungs, pick their nose, etc. Well it’s my place to cry as freely as I want and as long as I want. My car has seen the best and worst of days; she knows all my problems.
Now granted (looking back), this day had not been THAT bad but, when I stacked it all up in my head, evaluated my life, and took into consideration all the little things that had gone wrong, plus the amount of pressure and stress on my shoulders, I thought it was so bad that I just had to be the chosen one to have been dealt the worst hand of cards in the game of life.
So I cried. All the way home.
I checked the mail before going up to the apartment and hidden in the pile of junk mail was an envelope with a printed address sticker with my name and no return address.
The envelope was awkward because it felt empty.
As I got upstairs, still looking like a blurry eyed raccoon due to the waterfall of black makeup that had made its way down my face, I opened the envelope.
Inside of the envelope wasn’t a letter; there wasn’t a picture; there wasn’t anything substantial except for a bunch of cut out confetti pieces. As I poured them onto my bed I noticed that they were in the shape of “I”, “U”, and hearts.
It was confetti pieces that said I “heart” YOU.
Instantly tears began to run down my face…again. Why was I crying before? I wasn’t dealt the worst hand of cards. I have the most amazing boyfriend who truly loves me. He loves me enough to sit at his desk and cut sticky notes into letters and hearts and mail them to me. (He later told me he was just practicing with his new box cutter but….I believe different :) ) I always say that it’s the little things that mean the most and this is exactly one of those little things. I have EVERYTHING to be thankful for. I had to tell myself, “No more pity parties young lady, you are blessed.”
What’s weird was that this letter was post stamped on the 2nd and I didn’t receive it until the 8th. Usually an envelope doesn’t take that long to travel from Greensboro to Charlotte. Somewhere in the postal system this letter got held up; like it knew I was going to need it at 6:30 on Wednesday the 8th. Fate? Who knows! But its little things that act as a simple reminder…I couldn’t ask for more right now.
(click on any picture to view larger)


No comments:
Post a Comment