Anyway, Blair and I took our time getting pretty on Friday as we caught up on gossip about all our friends (I mean, I have to be serious, but don’t worry . . . it definitely was all good stuff until we got to some of you crazy cats and you already know who you are!) We then proceeded to the patio of Rock Bottom where we shared a meal and a bottle of wine. Yes, it does sounds like an intimate little date but it was the best date I had been on in a long time even if I did have to pay for myself! The rest of the weekend was a blur with a night out with the girls, Kirsten and Reese’s engagement party, and many “dates with life” which included paying bills, grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning, etc etc etc. I finally feel slightly caught up today minus an outstanding paper to write which is due Saturday. Ugh.
But…other than that I always say to myself: “Be happy so long as breath is in you!” SO TRUE!
I went shopping last night with Miss. Laura to transform her into a hot diva for her birthday outing this Saturday. I think we have her hooked up (if she will take my word for it!) I did find out one exciting shopping tidbit: Always pay attention to signs posted around the register. I usually see little signs around the register as clutter or the last desperate effort in trying to get me signed up for their credit card but…at Forever 21, they give 10% discounts for students on all full priced merchandise; all you have to do is show them your student ID! Of course they don’t offer this to you when you are checking out but they did have it posted on a tiny sign mixed in with a rack of jewelry! Pay attention and save some $$$$!
I also tried a new recipe that I want to leave you with as well as one I will be attempting here in the near future. Try them yourself and Enjoy! They are amazing!!!
Stuffed Mushrooms
24 ounces white button mushrooms, washed and stems removed and finely chopped1/3 pound hot breakfast sausage (or Italian sausage)
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
8 ounces cream cheese
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/3 cup dry white wine
Salt and pepper to taste
Brown and crumble sausage. Set aside on a plate to cool.
Add onions and garlic to the same skillet; cook for 2 minutes over medium low heat.
Pour in wine to deglaze pan, allow liquid to evaporate.
Add in chopped mushroom stems, stir to cook for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set mixture aside on a plate to cool.
In a bowl, combine cream cheese and egg yolk. Stir together with Parmesan cheese.
Add cooled sausage and cooled mushroom stems. Stir mixture together and refrigerate for a short time to firm up.
Smear mixture into the cavity of each mushroom, creating a sizable mound over the top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool at least ten minutes before serving; the stuffed mushrooms taste better when not piping hot.
Rosemary-Onion Bread with Blue Cheese Topping
1 tablespoon butter1 large yellow onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt (more to taste)
Freshly chopped rosemary to taste (be generous!)
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
Saute sliced onions and minced garlic in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Cook them until brown and caramelized, about 8 to 10 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
Pour warm water into a bowl. Sprinkle yeast on top. Add sugar and olive oil, then stir gently with a fork until combined. Set aside.
Combine flour and salt in a separate bowl.
Add flour mixture, onions, and rosemary in alternating ingredients, stirring gently until dough is combined. (It’ll be sticky!)
Generously flour a flat surface. Knead dough 15 to 20 times, adding flour generously to make it easier to handle. (Keep it sticky, though!)
Drizzle olive oil in a separate bowl, then add ball of dough, turning to coat. Cover with a tea towel and place in a warm spot for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Divide dough into eight portions, and form a rough round from each piece. Place on a baking mat or parchment paper, then cover with a towel and allow to rise for 15 to 20 minutes.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until brown. Brush with butter halfway through baking time.To top with blue cheese, either place crumbled blue cheese on completely baked rolls and allow it to soften naturally, OR remove the rolls with five minutes baking time left, top with cheese, and return to the oven to bake/allow cheese to melt.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Divine!


No comments:
Post a Comment