
Eight years ago today, I had just left my elective class in the 1000 building and was walking around the back of East Forsyth High School and headed towards Mr. Coggins senior English class when I first heard the commotion. I entered into Mrs. Coggins trailer and an old-school TV on a high, brown TV stand was turned to the news channel as the previous class was still in the trailer and the next class was entering. As soon as I entered the door and worked my way through the group of students crowded around, the second plane hit the World Trade Center. The entire class was quiet and as much as Mrs. Coggins was trying to hold it back, tears started dripping down her checks; she had friends that worked in the World Trade Center. Not really sure about the next sequence of events but after several announcements over the intercom every student was to be contained within a classroom and all teachers were to turn their TV’s to the news channel. The thinking of our administration was “this is history and these children should experience it.” Within that hour, there were many rumors floating around within the school and on the news. Everyone was scared to death, not knowing if that was going to be the last attack or not.
I remember the only thing I wanted to do was to be with Blair, Mom, Dad and Dustin. I wanted to be right beside them and with them at that very second because I felt like I could protect them from everything. The entire rest of the day was a blurr. We watched the news for the next 6 hours, seeing different footage from various bystanders and listening to personal accounts from those with family in the buildings looking for their loved ones. I remember putting myself, over and over again, in the shoes of the office worker sitting on the 100th floor of the second tour and seeing the first tour in smoke, and then within what probably what seemed like seconds, a US Airline plane headed straight for you and knowing there was absolutely NOTHING you could do at that moment but pray.
Even until this day I have a very hard time imaging what the poor people in those buildings were seeing and feeling at that time. It is hard for me to look at the pictures and even harder for me to watch the news today of all the children that are now 8 who lost their mothers and fathers that they never even got a chance to meet.
A day to remember.
Where were you on September 11, 2001?
I remember the only thing I wanted to do was to be with Blair, Mom, Dad and Dustin. I wanted to be right beside them and with them at that very second because I felt like I could protect them from everything. The entire rest of the day was a blurr. We watched the news for the next 6 hours, seeing different footage from various bystanders and listening to personal accounts from those with family in the buildings looking for their loved ones. I remember putting myself, over and over again, in the shoes of the office worker sitting on the 100th floor of the second tour and seeing the first tour in smoke, and then within what probably what seemed like seconds, a US Airline plane headed straight for you and knowing there was absolutely NOTHING you could do at that moment but pray.
Even until this day I have a very hard time imaging what the poor people in those buildings were seeing and feeling at that time. It is hard for me to look at the pictures and even harder for me to watch the news today of all the children that are now 8 who lost their mothers and fathers that they never even got a chance to meet.
A day to remember.
Where were you on September 11, 2001?
This is a long video, but a powerful one. Watch it in pieces if you can't watch it all at once.


No comments:
Post a Comment