Now, some cubes might be 10ft tall, 8 ft tall, or even 6ft. But oh no, I have the joy of having a cube that I am able to sit in a chair and see EVERYTHING (a little sarcasm; maybe). There are 24 of us in the room, all with open cubes. We can see each other ALL DAY long. TV’s are available in the front of the room for our viewing pleasure, but this is the only perk about having the luxury of the 3.5 ft cube. Otherwise, not only can you see everything, but you can hear everything! Zero privacy in this place. Work conference calls, personal phone calls, personal conversation, and work conversation, whatever it is, if it comes out of your mouth, we all hear it and its now public information. Now don’t get me wrong, this environment is conducive to a lot of the work done here on the trading floor but…..do you ever feel like you know a little too much about your co-workers? It sometimes resembles a jail cell.
To be able to concentrate on any kind of personal work, you either need to have a lap top and totally remove yourself from this room or, you log into this little lifesaver…. http://www.grooveshark.com/
I listen to this at least 60% of the day as I try and concentrate and not let my co-workers conversations and little personal habits make me want to shake the shit out of them. I have made playlists depending on my mood, the time of day or even the project I am working on. This little website has saved me more times than none from going over and literally being ugly to a coworker if he would not stop talking about fantasy football or his drastic weekend where he “got totally wasted off 24 beers.”
I plug my headphones in, select my playlist or the “most popular” selection and away I go knocking out all kinds of mundane tasks that have to be accomplished in a typical day.
Thank you Grooveshark for saving my patience!
click to view a larger pic of my personal cell



No comments:
Post a Comment