On Saturday, Leslie Lauren and I threw Blair and Sarah a baby shower for all of our high school girls, Blair and Sarah’s “Kernersville” friends, and then the grandmothers and great grandmothers! (It’s so scary to think my mom is going to be a grandmother! She just isn’t old enough!!!)
We had tons of food, tons of friends, and tons of cutie-pa-tootie baby clothes and toys!
I was in charge of the dips/salsas and chips. I wanted to try and stay away from the all-too-common tomato based salsas and the all-too-common cheese or sour cream based dips. I wanted something light and fresh to reflect the fabulous weather!!!
Therefore, I made Fresh Corn and Avocado Salsa and South Georgia “Caviar”. I don’t want to toot my own horn but…both were out-of-this-world delicious and VERY easy.
The Fresh Corn and Avocado could easily be used as a garnish to any piece of cooked fish or as a “filling” on a turkey wrap!!! I honestly could make a bowl of it and eat it with a fork as a summer-time salad!
The South Georgia “Caviar” is probably the easiest to make for any cookout partly because it actually recommends you making it the day before and refrigerating it overnight! My mom and grandmother make it all the time for any occasion and it’s always a hit!
*** I doubled the recipe of the Corn and Avocado so that I would have about the same amount of both dips.***
Fresh Corn and Avocado Salsa
Ingredients
4 ears Sweet Corn
½ whole Red Onion, Diced
2 whole Very Firm Avocados, Diced
½ whole Jalapeno, Seeded And Finely Diced
½ whole Hot Chili Pepper, Seeded And Finely Diced
1 whole Juice Of Lime
Plenty Of Chopped Cilantro
Salt To Taste
1 Tablespoon Vinegar
1 teaspoon Sugar (optional)
4 ears Sweet Corn
½ whole Red Onion, Diced
2 whole Very Firm Avocados, Diced
½ whole Jalapeno, Seeded And Finely Diced
½ whole Hot Chili Pepper, Seeded And Finely Diced
1 whole Juice Of Lime
Plenty Of Chopped Cilantro
Salt To Taste
1 Tablespoon Vinegar
1 teaspoon Sugar (optional)
Directions
Slice kernels off the corn, and combine it with all remaining ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate before serving
South Georgia "Caviar"

Ingredients
2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chile's (recommended: Ro-Tel)
2 cups chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh jalapeno peppers
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (8-ounce) bottle Italian dressing
1 (4-ounce) jar chopped pimentos, drained
2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chile's (recommended: Ro-Tel)
2 cups chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh jalapeno peppers
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (8-ounce) bottle Italian dressing
1 (4-ounce) jar chopped pimentos, drained
Directions
In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir gently to combine. Refrigerate mixture overnight. Serve with corn chips.
In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir gently to combine. Refrigerate mixture overnight. Serve with corn chips.


No comments:
Post a Comment