Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Date Is Set

March 9th, 2013
Our Wedding Day!

This day has been on the radar for quite some time now BUT, we finally have some dollar bills down at both the church and reception site which makes me 100% more comfortable to finally put this information out to the public! 

Right after I turned in the check for the reception site, I came home from work one afternoon to a delivery on the front porch!  Inside was this:
One of my bestests Laura sent us a countdown clock to our wedding day!  How cute and super sweet is this! LOVE it!

Besides setting the date, booking the church and reception site, as well as putting a deposit down on a photographer (which I am SUPER excited about and will leak that information at a later date)...I think I have a pretty good start and have not really done much else  I have several bridal gown appointments coming up in March which my Momma and Sis are coming down for and "Charleston" and I went to Diamonds Direct to take a look at wedding bands for both of us.

When it comes to my ring....I am 100% in love.  "Charleston" went above and beyond what I could ever have asked for and it has "BLAIN" written all over it.  Before we got engaged, "Charleston" and I obviously had talked marriage and he asked me questions about what kinds of rings I liked.  I always told him I wanted something simple and classic.

Back in college at NC State, I used to teach this water aerobics class at the YMCA on Hillsborough Street every Monday and Wednesday morning at 7am.  It was the highlight of my day for years.  I had the same group of elderly men and women (mainly ages 75 and up) who would venture out, rain or shine, to make it to class.  They were ultimately my home-away-from-home grandparents, slipping me $2 here-and-there, telling me to buy myself something good for lunch!  God love them. 

Well there was this one sweet lady Ellen.  She not only had a heart of gold but she was absolutely beautiful even in her late 80's.  Ellen was not married but after some time of observation, I noticed she wore a diamond everyday on her left hand.   It was a single solitaire set in a standard gold setting.  I made the comment to her one day that her ring kept blinding me as it sparkled in the water and she proceeded to tell me that it was her engagement ring that she has been wearing for 60 plus years. 

Ellen was married for over 55 years before her husband passed away.  He gave her that ring the day they got engaged and she has worn it since. It melted my heart that even to this day, she still wears the exact same one!  It was inspiring.  She proceeded to tell me how important it was to her and how honored she was to wear it everyday of her life and to be his wife, even after he was gone.  Love is beautiful. 

Therefore, there was no doubt in my mind that one day I wanted to follow in Ellen's footsteps. The ring I would hopefully someday receive when I got engaged, I would wear everyday for the rest of my life; the exact same one.  It has so much meaning, significance and love surrounding it that I can't wait in 60 years to tell my great-grandchildren about the day their great-grandfather gave it to me.

I sent "Charleston" this picture on my way home from work one day last month.  I want him to know everyday how much I love my ring, I love him, and I will cherish everyday that I get to be his wife.  I will be honored.


No comments: