A Fashion Trend That Needs To Be Finished (OR NEVER STARTED!)
There is one trend that caught on about as fast as facebook. It seems to have affected all women from ages five to eighty five. It “threw-up” all over America, but not once on me. Now I don’t want to offend anyone, this is all strictly just my personal opinion.
Obnoxiously bright colors, patterns with amebas in every shape and combination you can possibly imagine. No I am not talking about an old school Lily Pulitzer dress (which no girl under the age of 8 should really be caught dead in unless they are at the Carolina Cup with a large floppy hat on.) I can at least give it to Lily; some of her more up-to-date pieces are not so obnoxious! What I am really talking about is Vera Bradley.
As I was walking into work this morning there was a lady on the escalator several steps in front of me. She was a rather larger woman with black tight Capri pants and a bright pink stretch cotton T-shirt. Immediately when looking up at her the only thing that caught my attention was the over-sized Vera Bradley shoulder bag in a blue, black, and red pattern. I instantly thought where is her baby? This “purse” she was carrying seriously looked like a diaper bag for a little boy in every way, shape and form. Too bad this lady was in her mid 50s! Just because you are carrying a popular brand does not make it ok to wear with everything!
It is a “fad” that I have never understood what the obsession was. These bags match with NOTHING except your great-great grandmother’s quilt! The most disturbing out of all her pieces is the book bag. “Book bag” style purses were definitely finished running their course in Style Magazine back in 1995 - Especially hot pink book bags with orange and pink flowers!
I think my disgust against Vera Bradley came in college when I was working at Crabtree & Evelyn at Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh during the Christmas holiday. We were the “Mecca” in Raleigh for all things Vera. Vera seemed to be on everyone shopping list and when I say everyone I meant that woman would buy the same purse for their niece as they would for her grandmother. There is a problem here! A 50 year old should not be rockin the same purse as a 12 year old! NO WAY!
I don’t really get it! What’s the obsession with a grandma quilt built into an overpriced purse or bag!
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment