Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Joe Camel vs. Malibu Barbie




If you told me to smoke, I would say “No” – without question. Sure, cigarettes paid for my education, food, and a roof over my head (thank you Joe Camel) but I know the potential risks and the zero benefits that come from smoking. It’s a sink hole for $4 a pack which could ultimately be the price of a meal! I have had family members and others I know pass way from the risks due to smoking. I have learned from their experiences; there is nothing positive associated with the hobby (except for giving my dad a salary! – This could be a controversial topic but...lets stay focused...)

Anyway, today in the Charlotte Observer is an article on Tanning Beds. (Oh yes, here we go...) In summary, this article explains how research has proven that tanning beds are a type of carcinogenic due to their radiation. An analysis of about 20 studies concludes the risk of skin cancer jumps by 75 percent when people start using tanning beds before age 30. London International cancer experts have moved tanning beds and other sources of ultraviolet radiation into the top cancer risk category, deeming them as deadly as arsenic and mustard gas.

So, for most of us this is not “new” news. Tanning beds cause cancer, do permanent damage to your skin and can ultimately kill you. Therefore, tanning beds are like cigarettes: dangerous and expensive. In the past year, I have cracked down on my tanning bed use. I somehow justify to myself that it is ok to go only before “big events” – i.e. weddings, etc. (This morning I was honestly thinking about going after work before my date tonight – until I saw this article) I have friends that go to the tanning bed at least 4 times a week on top of being at the pool, beach, or lake on the weekends. I have family members (I won’t name names :)) that go several times a week as well. Sure I can lecture them on their amount of tanning bed use, but I would be a hypocrite to tell them they should never go.

This is where I need to change. I don’t smoke cigarettes because of the dangers and I don’t want to go to the tanning bed because of their dangers either … but why is it sooo hard to totally cut out this habit- especially when there are alternatives like bronzing creams and lotions. I have cut back, but why can’t I cut it out? I am not addicted to the tanning bed per say because it does take a lot of money, time and smelling gross for the afternoon. Why is it so important to be tan for a friend’s wedding, but then possibly take off 10 years of your life that could then be spent with a friend? Is it really worth it; NOPE.

Sometimes in my head I feel like I play that invincible rule when it comes to the tanning bed. I have so many friends that go and so many people I know that go WAY more than I do, therefore I am only one in 10000 so nothing bad from it couldn’t happen to me. I know this is wrong and starting today I am going to work towards NEVER going to the tanning bed again. If I challenge myself to no more tanning bed, can I challenge each of you to cutting this out of your life as well? Can we spend an extra 10 years together that the tanning bed could possibly take from one of us?


No comments: