Lady Antebellum- “I Run To You”:
I run my life
Or is it running me?
Run from the past
I run too fast
Or too slow it seems
We run on fumes
Your life and mine
Like the sands of time
Slippin’ right on through
When it all starts coming undone
Baby, you’re the only one I run to
I run to you.
I run my life
Or is it running me?
Run from the past
I run too fast
Or too slow it seems
We run on fumes
Your life and mine
Like the sands of time
Slippin’ right on through
When it all starts coming undone
Baby, you’re the only one I run to
I run to you.
On Tuesday night, Preston and I went for our, what seems to have become weekly, walk with Bear along the Little Sugar Creek Greenway through the 98 acres of Charlottes “Central Park”, Freedom Park. It was amazing outside so the park was crowded with pick-up volleyball, soccer and softball games; people fishing, rollerblading, running and walking their dogs.
Anyway, I totally despise it when you are strolling along a sidewalk made for two people to walk side-by-side and as the two of you are approach another couple they do not move over. The stay their course and force both of you to step off the side into the grass. Hello- rude! The proper thing to do is one person of each couple file behind your partner until a “pass” is complete. Common courtesy. Share the “road.”
Well as we were walking on Tuesday, almost every person we passed expressed a simple smile or a friendly hello and EVERYONE shared the sidewalk appropriately. Bikers did not fly by thinking they owned the place; they gave the appropriate signals and respected the walkers. It was such a refreshing feeling to be surrounded with pleasant people. Preston and I both noticed how nice our walk was because tonight everyone seemed to be on “happy” pills! We started discussing how we really think it’s just more of a southern thing. I started telling Preston how one of my friends mom was amazed when she came down to Charlotte from the north and the lady checking her out at the grocery store asked her if she found everything ok and then started a small conversation as she rang up her groceries. She said that she couldn’t remember the last time someone working behind any counter was that friendly and approachable. It makes me a little proud to be born and raised in the south!
Yesterday I had my weekly lunch date with Jenna and in our gossip catch up conversation I came to the conclusion that I LOVE to grocery shop! I LOVE to know that I am getting to select everything I want to put in my mouth that week; I LOVE the challenge of finding the lowest price and best deal; I LOVE the feeling of being able to complete my entire trip by doing 90% of my shopping around the outer parts of the store. I NEVER do my weekly grocery shopping in a time constraint. I plan to do nothing else that afternoon so I can take as much time as I need; it helps take the edge off! It’s my stress free event until I get to the register. I hate to pay (who does?!) So I came to the conclusion that when I need a part time job, I will go grocery shopping for elders that cannot get to the store on their own!
So I left work yesterday and hit up the store for my weekly grocery “spa”. As I was approaching the deli section to take full advantage of the VIC special on turkey breast, I noticed a lady in her mid 50’s with ATLEAST 5 grocery lists. She had ordered 3 separate 1lb bags of the same turkey I wanted, so as the man behind the counter said, “I’ll be with you in one minute mam’” I simply replied, “Well you can keep that turkey out because I’m going to get the same thing!” The lady then turned to me with a smile and said “nice choice!” We then started into small conversation about how often we came to the store and where we lived in relation to Cotswald. She proceeded to tell me that she had just retired and now on the side she shops for individuals that can’t get to the store on their own. A little strange I had just said I wanted to do this?! – I think so!! I told her that was crazy because just that afternoon I was talking about how I wanted to do that as a second job! She gave me her card and told me to call her anytime if I had some free time. If she was loaded with lists, I could help her out! Not only was she friendly, a southern bell raised in Myers Park Charlotte (like Preston and I had talked about the night before), but she had a side job I would love to do (like Jenna and I had discussed)! Coincidence – I don’t think so!
As I continued my journey to find Italian bread crumbs, (which, if I were designing the grocery store they would be on the same isle as the stuffing - not on the top shelf near the cake baking stuff!) I was wondering aimlessly down one of the wine isles, only focused on getting to the other end. Almost there, a woman in her early 70’s gently grabbed my arm and said “I was an Alpha Delta Pi!” She had noticed my T-shirt! Now I know I am true sorority girl because I got overly excited! It’s fun to see someone this much older share this same tradition as the one’s we know in ADPi. We held small talk and I found out she went to UGA and moved to Charlotte when she graduated. She was the sweetest and cutest little lady AND she was on the wine isle; a classy ADPi!
As I was driving back to my apartment with the window’s down and the plastic grocery bags flapping in the wind, I just started smiling! I didn’t really care what happened that day at work or how stressed I was. These little things like friendly southern people, grocery shopping for the elders, and the idea that there are tons of women out there of all ages who share the same traditions like in ADPi, just lit a little fire in me. I love people who talk to people; it makes the day brighter!
As I was telling Anna and Preston of my wonderful “coincidental” afternoon, Preston said, “Oh B, you’re so simple and such a soft shell. It’s the little things that make your little world go-round.” And it’s true; you have to see the best of everything!
I love the song above because it reminds me every day to take a step back and slow down and cherish the relationships we make in life, even if it is with a stranger in the grocery store who was an ADPi alum or Judy, the retiree who shops for others! For me, the “I run to you” isn’t about a single person! Allow others to work into you and on you to take these daily stresses away! “Run” to everyone to make your day a little better!


No comments:
Post a Comment