Thursday, July 16, 2009

Makes My Mouth Water

I do not like frozen vegetable dishes. Mom experienced that this past week when she stayed with me Sunday to Tuesday. Tuesday night we made salmon and a bag of frozen roasted veggies from Trader Joes. They just were not up to par for my taste buds. I have spoiled myself with fresh veggies. But, I have gotten tired of doing the usual – sautéed onions and mushrooms, grilled asparagus, green beans and corn, grilled corn on the cob, veggie kabobs etc.

So, last night Jenna and I cooked dinner for us, Lauren, Brandon and Mr. Gildea. Jenna wanted me to introduce her to a new veggie dish so I thought I would try something new myself!

If you don’t try any other recipe I post on here, you at least have to try this one! It is VERY easy, fool proof and somewhat healthy (the little bit of butter doesn’t help, but it’s better than frying it!) You will be surprised the flavor you get out of something with few ingredients. A very sophisticated side dish that makes an amazing impression at any dinner!

You could also take this recipe and run with it…next time I might add either a sprinkle of shredded Swiss cheese over the top or even bread crumbs!

ENJOY!

Onion, Zucchini, and Tomato Bake
4 zucchini, peeled and sliced into rings on the diagonal
1 large onion, sliced thin
4 medium tomatoes, sliced
1 tsp. salt
Pepper
butter
4 tsp. basil
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese (this comes in a plastic container, not a bag like other shredded cheeses. Can be found usually where you find blue cheese crumbles, feta cheese etc.)

Rub a 9 x 13 casserole dish with butter. Leave several extra pads of butter on the bottom of the dish. Line dish with a layer of zucchini, the onions, and tomato. Top with ½ tsp salt, pepper to taste, 2 tsp. basil, ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, and ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese. Dot with butter and repeat layering again. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Serves 5 to 6.
Dish will look full, but vegetables will cook down.

No comments: