We become instantly hungry, irritated because we have yet to go to the grocery store and really don’t want to take the time to cook anything because all we want is the five-tier-cheeseburger from po-dunk Pennsylvania or the BBQ Ribs from no-mans-land South Carolina. Why do we put ourselves through it? (Lately I have offered up running to Mr. K’s down the street or even hit up The Penguin but, “Charleston” has reminded me each time that I don’t have “the points” for that. Such a good fiancé to keep me in check!)
On Monday night, we watched the episode “Where the Locals Eat” and it featured Captain Chuck-a-Mucks in Rescue, VA. This joint is right near the Chesapeake where they cook all fresh fish and Guy Fieri featured their famous crab-cakes. Captain Chuck-a-Mucks had me at hello and all I want now is fresh fried seafood; especially a crab cake!
Charlotte lacks when it comes to hole-in-the-wall seafood joints so instead, I am going to try this crab-cake-recipe this weekend.
Crab Cakes
9 ounces lump crab meat, picked free of shells
1/2 cup (about 13) reduced fat Ritz crackers, crushed
1 whole egg plus 1 egg white, beaten
2 finely chopped scallions
2 tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper
1 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
2 tbsp fresh cilantro (or parsley)
1/2 lime, juiced
salt and pepper to taste
cooking spray
Zesty Chipotle Lime Sauce
1 tbsp roasted peppers (jarred)
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 tsp minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
1 tsp fresh lime juice
Red Pepper Chipotle Lime Sauce:
In a small blender (or magic bullet) puree mayonnaise, lime juice, roasted pepper and chipotle pepper.
Crab Cakes:
In a large bowl, combine crushed crackers, eggs, scallions, pepper, mayo, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix well, then fold in crab meat, careful not to over mix so the crab remains in large chunks. Gently shape into patties using a 1/2 cup measuring cup.
Chill in the refrigerator at least 1/2 hour before baking.
Preheat oven to 400°. Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray. Bake about 8-10 minutes on each side, until nicely browned.
Drizzle red pepper chipotle lime sauce over crab cakes and serve.
No, they don’t look as good as the captain’s and they are not deep friend to perfection but…my fingers are crossed they satisfy my craving.



1 comment:
Cannot believe you saw Chuck-a-Muck's on DD&D!!! I saw it a couple of months ago and instantly went to mapquest to research! Rescue, VA is approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes from Ian & Alyson's house and I will definitely be going there as soon as I figure out when I'm going to go visit them!!!
Post a Comment